- Scholarship is extended to USC’s undergraduate or graduate students.
- If selected, students will receive full waiver of the participation fee ($90) for the WLC’s annual conference on November 7, 2019 at the InterContinental Los Angeles Century City at Beverly Hills (scholarship recipient will be responsible for transportation and/or parking).
- Actively participate in the roundtable discussion and take notes.
- Complete a participant survey after the conference.
- Write a brief report about their conference experience, sharing what they learned.
Scholarship applications are due Friday, October 4, 2019, 5:00pm.
Results will be notified in late October via email.
6th Annual Women's Leadership Counts Conference- "From Locker Room to C-Suite"
Increasing evidence shows that playing sports can transfer into your professional career, helping you become a better and more influential leader.
Playing sports is often considered a male thing, but the expectation that sports can help your career holds for women as well as men. In a 2014 report of women executives by Ernst and Young (EY) Women Athletes Business Network and espnW, 74% said a background in sport can help accelerate a woman’s career. In another report, they found an overwhelming correlation between athletic and business success; 94% of women in the C-suite played sports and 80% of female Fortune executives played competitive sports.
Against the backdrop of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, this year’s conference will address the character traits and attributes that are common among great athletes and business leaders. The speakers will highlight leadership qualities that are both effective on and off the field, and share skills learned in athletics that have a direct workplace crossover.
Thursday, November 7, 2019
5:30-6:30pm Networking Reception
InterContinental Los Angeles Century City at Beverly Hills
2151 Avenue of the Stars, Los Angeles, CA 90067
Map & Directions
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Current and future corporate, business, academic, non-profit and entrepreneurial women and men leaders who value the U.S-Japan collaboration and wish to expand their networks.
WHY YOU SHOULD ATTEND
Download Conference Flyer Here
- LEARN from global leaders - Understanding the culture of the parent company, management, or client from Japan or overseas is key to having a successful career
- DISCOVER your potential - Build leadership and management skills and navigate through unique corporate culture in a professional environment
- INVEST in yourself – Exchange ideas as well as challenges you are facing with peers and mentors, and learn tactics to advance your career
- BUILD your professional network – Meet a diverse group of women and men representing a wide variety of industries
ABOUT THE WOMEN'S LEADERSHIP COUNTS INITIATIVE
In 2014, the Japan America Society of Southern California's Women's Leadership Counts Initiative (WLCI) was created as a first-of-its-kind initiative to provide a platform for women in business on both sides of the Pacific to engage in professional and leadership development.
Together with our partner organizations, business executives and community leaders, the WLCI will create a network that inspires action and moves the needle on women's leadership.
WLCI's Mission Statement:
To provide an inclusive and diverse platform for women in business to engage in professional and global leadership development
Download the 2019 Fact Sheet