Southern California's Largest Kiting Event!
The JAPAN AMERICA KITE FESTIVAL® is the largest kite festival in Southern California and one of the most “family friendly” kite festivals worldwide!
Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:00am to 5:00pm
North Side of Seal Beach Pier
Seal Beach, CA MAP
Download Program of Events
Free Admission!Download Flyer
Come with family and friends to enjoy Japanese and international kites of all sizes and colors! Kite Workshop and games for Children, Japanese food & cultural booths, GIANT Show kites, Taiko drum performance, Martial arts demonstrations, Shamisen, Traditional Japanese folk dancing, Kite Candy Drops for kids, Kite Battles and Stunt Kite demonstrations and much more!
Creator of the newest food sensation, Ramen Burger™, Keizo Shimamoto, is making his appearance at the festival - made possible by Delta Air Lines. Taste the sensation that has captivated the world! He will be serving 500 Ramen Burgers™ starting from 11:00 a.m.
Japanese Cultural Entertainment
- Free children's kite workshop - 10am to 2pm (while supplies last).
- Kids game corner (origami, face/hand painting, carp making, Japanese calligraphy head bands and other games) - 10am to 2pm
- Introductory lessons on precision sport kite by world champion, Chieko Tagami
- Edo Amezaiku (Candy Sculpture Artist) Shawn Ichiyanagi - 11am to 2pm
- Hourly Raffle - win great prizes including toys from Mattel and gift certificates and products from Seal Beach's local businesses!
As a part of the grand finale, we will have Japanese Bon Odori dancing(traditional Japanese festival dance) at 4:30pm!
- Taiko performances by PROTA
- Naginata demonstration by Southern California Naginata Federation
- Tsugaru Shamisen by Naoki Atkins
- Meet and greet with Japanese samurai action hero Fujiyama Ichiban
- Traditional Japanese folk dancing by Kotobuki no Kai
Grab an Uchiwa (Japanese fan) which will be provided, wear a Yukata (summer Kimono) or Happi (festival coat) and join the dance!
The Japan America Kite Festival® is an annual event held in early Fall, and takes place next to the Seal Beach Pier, in Seal Beach, California.
Initiated in 1996 by Up Up & Away Kites and Up Up & Away Kite Club, the Festival was joined by the Japan America Society of Southern California in 2000, when the Festival also took on its current, trademarked name.
Today, the Japan America Kite Festival® attracts over 12,000 visitors and it is dedicated to educating the general public about the joy of kite flying, the variety and styles of kites, with a growing focus on Japanese kites and traditional Japanese kite making.
Come with family and friends to enjoy Japanese and international kites of all sizes and colors! Kite Workshop and games for Children, Japanese food & cultural booths, 50' x 100' Giant Show kites, Taiko drum performance, Kite Candy Drops for kids, Kite Battles and Stunt Kite demonstrations and much more!
The Japan America Society annually hosts HITACHI Japanese Kite Workshops, inviting a traditional Edo Kite Master from Japan to benefit underprivileged children in the greater Los Angeles region. The Edo Kite Master will have a variety of kites for you to see up and close, and demonstrate how to fly a Japanese style kite! Don't miss his famous 150 yard US-JAPAN train kite!
Co-presented by Japan America Society of Southern California and Up Up and Away Kite Club.
View photo album on Facebook
View news coverage on 15th Annual Japan America Kite Festival®
Entertainment Stage Sponsor
Nikkei Women Legacy Association
Official Airline Sponsor